Call for contributions: 9th GERN Summer School on Crime and Responses to Crime: Consensus or Conflict?
The place and meaning of crime, criminality and delinquency varies from one society to another, as does the response of the criminal justice institutions and civil society. The GERN doctoral school invites doctoral students from across Europe to Berlin to present their contributions. The doctoral school’s main theme is criminal phenomena and the responses to them in a global context, although other papers will be considered. In this context, particular attention will be paid to the notion of « conflict ». By this, we want to welcome researchers who, in dealing with crime, delinquency, repression or social support, reveal broader dimensions of life in society: conflicts between different philosophical, political or theoretical conceptions of deviance and penality; and conflicts between social groups or interest groups which crime and delinquency would highlight. We therefore particularly welcome contributions that place delinquency and criminality, and the fight against crime, within the broader framework of the political evolution of societies. We also welcome contributions that take into account the « global South » (either as the main field of study, or in the context of North/South, South/North, and South/South movement).
The course will be given in English and will count as one specialist course for the doctoral training programme (Doctoral Schools), provided that participants register correctly (see below), participate actively and give a presentation during the Summer School. The participants get the opportunity to publish their paper in the GERN Research Paper Series (if the paper is accepted after the review procedure).
3-5 April 2024. Centre Marc Bloch, Berlin (https://cmb.hu-berlin.de)
- October 15th, 2023: Abstracts (max. 500 words) and a short biography (1 page max) are sent to A. Kretschmann, F. Jobard et R. Tiquet.
- Octobre 30th, 2023: Answers to the applicants, with details on the steps.
- Early March, 2024: First drafts sent to the organizers, who dispatch them among the participants.
- April 3d-5th, 2024: Summer School in Berlin. Each paper is commented by one PhD fellow and one senior fellow.
- Early June 2024: Second drafts have sent to the organizers, who dispatch each of them to 2 reviewers.
- End of Sept., 2024: Accepted papers sent back to the authors.
- 2025: Publication in the 9th volume of « GERN Research Papers Series », Maklu (Brussels).
Chronology of the Summer Schools organized by GERN since their creation in 2012
- The 1st GERN Summer School on Crime, Violence, Justice and Social Order was held in September 2012 at Ghent University, Belgium.
- The 2nd GERN Doctoral Summer School on Criminology and Criminal Justice. took place in Sheffield in 2013.
- The 3rd GERN Summer School took place at the Faculty of Law (School of Criminology), University of Porto (Portugal) from Thursday 4 September to Saturday 6 September 2014.
- The 4th GERN Summer School on Crime, Deviance and Criminal Justice took place in Paris, from Monday 7 September to Wednesday 9 September 2015.
- The 5th GERN Summer School took place in Dortmund, Germany, in September 2016.
- The 6th GERN Summer School on Challenges of Comparative Criminological Research was held in Ljubljana at the Faculty of Criminal Justice and Security, University of Maribor. September 2018.
- The 7th GERN Summer School on Emerging Trends in Criminology was held in Porto (Portugal) in September 2019.
- The 8th GERN Summer School on Making Strategic Choices in Social Science Research was held in Ghent (Belgium). 21-23 March 2022.
- The 9th GERN Summer School will take place in Germany, in 2024.
GERN Research Paper Series. Published by Maklu Publishers.